Saturday, April 15, 2006

Freedom of Speech infringements are no laughing matter.

Comedy Central would rather let Carlos Mencia make fun of retarded people than let Trey Parker and Matt Stone make a statement about censorship by showing a cartoon image of Muhammad. I guess they figure that the disabled can't work a bomb.

But seriously:

Anyone who saw this weeks South Park knows that Comedy Central censored them. Some think that the screen that proclaimed the networks refusal to show an image of Muhammad was part of the show, but it wasn’t...it was really Comedy Central censoring them. Here's an article:

Comedy Central censors South Park

There's something in the article itself that bugs me. Specifically, this quote:

"A frequent 'South Park' critic, William Donohue of the anti-defamation group Catholic League, called on Parker and Stone to resign out of principle for being censored.

'The ultimate hypocrite is not Comedy Central that's their decision not to show the image of Muhammad or not it's Parker and Stone,' he said. 'Like little whores, they'll sit there and grab the bucks. They'll sit there and they'll whine and they'll take their shot at Jesus. That's their stock in trade.' "

There are so many things wrong with this statement. First off, grammar. Secondly, There's no surprise that a "frequent critic" of South Park is calling for Parker and Stone's resignation, but look at his reasons. Because they were censored, he thinks they should resign. What kind of logic is that? If someone above you doesn’t like what you do, you should resign? If I say something bad about the government I should leave the country? No I should strive for change. If I believe what I’m saying I should try to change it. If I’m the only one, then I'll fail, and that’s that, but c’mon, look at this guys logic. He's saying I shouldn’t say anything that would upset people...I should forfeit my freedom of speech. What a dipshit.

Thirdly, I love how he somehow started talking about how Parker and Stone get money for making the show. and Fourthly, did he completely misunderstand the Jesus reference? Did he even see the show? (that’s a rhetorical question, I know the answer is no).

Honestly, some people just make me want to hit them. Hard.

If Comedy Central was afraid of the response from Fundamentalist Muslims if they showed the image, then should be even more worried about how people like myself and other fans of the Bill of Rights are going to react. Freedom of Speech is a guarantee, and Comedy Central has no right infringing upon it. In the end though, Parker and Stone got the last laugh...the image of Muhammad did get aired...The cartoon Muhammad from the earlier Superfriends parody episode appears in the intro to the show. Look really close at the group shot.

Also, boycott Mission Impossible: 3. Tom Cruise is another asshole that’s trying to stop free speech. He doesn’t want the episode of South Park that makes fun of Scientology to air anymore, and its rumored that he successfully got Comedy Central to pull it from rotation. Boycott his new movie then. It'll probably suck anyway.

Mission Impossible: 3 opens May 5th. As Carsi said, be on the look out for Cruise and Katie Holmes to have their child that same week. The wedding will be around the opening of his next movie, and the divorce the one after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment