Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Heart Of...Sunday Morning

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO TOM WAITS!

America's hobo troubadour turns 59 today.



Here he is performing "The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me)" On Fernwood 2 Night in 1977.

I'm going to celebrate my favorite musician's birthday by listening to Swordfishtrombones and Small Change while driving to Pennsylvania today in the snow. It will be quite an adventure.


Also, since I apparently missed it, November 22nd was Little Steven Van Zandt's birthday. Little Steven, other than being Bruce Springsteen's guitarist in the E Street Band, and the actor who played Silvio on The Sopranos, is also the DJ and founder of the greatest radio program of all time: Little Steven's Underground Garage.



Here is a clip from Little Steven's Underground Garage Festival back in (I think) 2004. The clip features Bruce Springsteen introducing the fantastic Chesterfield Kings.

You know, it's really sad, that I was at the Underground Garage Festival and I don't remember what year it was...it was August, I remember that...and there was a hurricane warning, and Julian Casablancas from The Strokes yelled at one point: "They told us to hurry up our set because there's a hurricane coming...WELL I DON'T SEE NO FUCKING HURRICANE!"

Yes kids, at one time The Strokes' were cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment